Before I gear up for two more games today, I thought it would be important to highlight the great work under appreciated teams are doing in this year's tournament. Costa Rica's win today is proof that announcers and spectators have sold teams short who do not fit in to the typical mold of teams who have previously won the World Cup or have big name stars. Truthfully, I was not expecting much from Costa Rica given that they came from a confederation, CONCACAF, that has been traditionally weaker than the others. Besides having been there before on a cruise I did not know much about the country or its soccer team. I did learn that they do not have a standing army which I find pretty interesting and that they are pretty great at soccer.
Watching Costa Rica take on Italy I was struck by how great their defensive discipline was. They were able to keep a tight back line that thwarted the attack of Balotelli and the creativity of Pirlo, something that England was not able to do. Costa Rica held on to the ball well and were able to immediately retrieve the ball even when under pressure by the Italians. In Costa Rica's first game I was very impressed by Joel Campbell and his ability as a striker. After this game I was impressed by Costa Rica's full backs and the creative runs they made down the flanks. Costa Rica seem like a real threat and, as the English have well learned, it is a mistake to count them out because they are not a "traditional" World Cup nation.
On to watching Switzerland vs. France which has the makings of being a very entertaining game and later Honduras vs. Ecuador. Who knows who will win since many of my predictions have proven false in this unexpected World Cup.
No comments:
Post a Comment