Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Bite Felt Around the World

Watching the Uruguay vs. Italy game was like watching a car crash. The majority of the game was spent with the two teams undergoing a tactical battle and trying to figure out how to break the other one down without conceding a goal. The large amount of fouls, yellow cards and even a red card showed just how much these two teams hated each other and how much the game meant to them. It was not until the last 15 minutes in which we witness the true ugliness of the game.

All are talking about Luis Suarez once again biting Italy's Chiellini. Suarez is lucky that the referee was no where near him and that the camera angle is not clear enough to definitively show proof of the biting. However, I think all of us are familiar with Suarez biting filled past and I for one have no trouble believing that he would stoop to such a level. The biting must have shaken up the Italian team and I believe is the reason why Italy's usually impenetrable defense conceded the goal on the corner. From there the game erupted into the two teams' benches freaking out in response to the wreck on the field. The benches were getting nasty with the assistant coaches coming to blows and teams throwing extra balls on the field to delay the game. Sadly, the game represents what I dislike most about football and feeds into the stereotypes that many have in regards to football.

The hope is that FIFA punishes Suarez for his gross actions but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen. Suarez is a big name and is one of the big reasons why FIFA is making so much money through television rights and sponsorship. I feel bad that Italy had to loose in such a manner. Obviously this occurrence is going to color what people remember of Italy's involvement in the 2014 World Cup. Especially sad is that the Italian coach Cesare Prandelli has chosen to resign before he would probably have been fired for Italy's showing in the tournament. Buffon and Pirlo have likely played their last games in the World Cup and most will not be reflecting on their illustrious careers and impact upon Italian football. Though Suarez is a great player, I think it is evident that he is not a good nor smart individual.

The best result of this biting incident... the great memes it has inspired.

I have come to suck your blood!

How Suarez sees each player


Cameo in the final season
Shout out to the Mexican team's great win over Croatia. I for one know we are all excited to see more of Miguel Herrera and his great goal celebrations!


My personal favorite!



No comments:

Post a Comment