Sunday, June 22, 2014

GOALS, GOALS, and A Front Flip Thrown in for Good Measure

It has been a weekend filled with some great games. I have to say that the Ghana vs. Germany game was probably the best one I have seen thus far. Both teams played well and their defenses were relatively open allowing for some great scoring opportunities. The game solidified my belief  that the Ghanians lost to the USA not because they sucked at playing but because they were just unlucky. The speed of the Ghanian counter attack is remarkable and tested the athleticism of the lumbering giant that is Per Mertesacker. He had a hard time following the Ghanian players and tracking them as they made their way on to goal. What Germany does have in their favor is a deep bench that really came through for them in the Ghana game. I was happy to see Miroslav Klose earn his record goal and proves that even though he is kind of old, he still has it (but not necessarily the ability to do a front flip).



The first half of the Iran vs. Argentina game was so boring. Having all 11 players defend against a team does not make for entertaining football, but, as we witnessed, it is effective. I felt bad for Iran and their loss in the 91st minute, damn you Messi, since they had more threatening chances on goal then the flat footed and sloppy Argentinians. Once again it shows just how great of a player Messi is. All he needs is one moment of brilliance in what was a  pretty lackluster game to carry his team through to the round of 16. Who my heart truly goes out to is Bosnia. I thought that they were going to make a dent in this year's tournament having been familiar with their players during the club season. That Eden Dzeko goal was clearly a goal and it was so sad that it was wrongly declared offside. However, Nigeria played a really good game and came back to show that they have a strong team. The last games in this group should be interesting. I read an article saying that if Iran and Nigeria end up with the same points and goal differential that FIFA will flip a coin to determine who goes in to the round of 16. For all those involve I pray that this is not the case. It is just so unfair and wrenches the control of your fate from you. I would buy a rigged coin to ensure my passage to the next round.

Today's USA game thankfully proved that we can actually play football. Michael Bradley was in good form showing just how important he is to the team. He actually held on to the ball (Hallelujah!) and created many a chance for Fabian Johnson to get behind the Portugal defense. It sucks that Portugal's first goal in the game was off of a Geoff Cameron error but the USA's positive response shows that we are here to compete in this year's World Cup. I have to say that once again Jermaine Jones impressed. He was crucial in retaining the ball in midfield and halting the dangerous counter-attacks of Portugal. His goal was also pretty amazing. The US looked dangerous on many occasions and Bradley's almost goal was painful. Dempsey once again scored for his team proving to me that the team does not need Jozy Altidore. I think he kind of sucks. His ball handling skills are subpar and I am never impressed with his hold up play or his runs into the box. People say how much of a physical presence he has but every time I see him he is easily pushed off the ball. Dempsey is way more creative of a player and has some great skill on the ball.

Sadly the US still have one more game to play before the round of 16 can happen thanks Portugal's LATE goal. The USA fan's response to the goal was hilarious. If people hadn't been so much I would have thought their face paint was running because of their tears. Thursday's matches are going to intense. The USA must pray for a win or tie with Germany. Many will say that the US have beaten Germany before at an international friendly. However, that was Germany's B Team. For this Thursday, Germany will not be holding back and will have all their great players on the field. Fingers crossed that Portugal ends up beating Ghana (honestly who knows what will happen) and the US win/loose/tie against Germany. Then we will be guaranteed on to the next round.


No comments:

Post a Comment