Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Mauling of Brazil

It has been a bit since I last posted. Truthfully, I had just forgotten to write but if I had I would have said that biggest concern for Brazil was not the loss of Neymar but the loss of Thiago Silva. His second yellow card was so stupid, he ran into the goalie during his free kick, and could have been avoided. Silva is the rock of this defense and that can be clearly seen in this mauling being handed to the Brazilians. This game is so painful to watch and frankly embarrassing that is has spurred me to blog about it during halftime. Where has Brazil's defense been? Dante is a good alternative to Silva and plays for German champions Bayern giving him great experience on the world stage. It looks like Germany is not even trying after the first goal. 5 goals in 18 minutes is a ridiculous statistic in a World Cup Semi Final.

Brazil's performance is similar to Spain's defeat to Netherlands earlier in the group stages but is actually a lot worse. Brazil have made it to the semifinals in their home country with the support of the entire country. It is no secret that I have thought that Brazil's performance has been lack luster and suspect thus far but it was the home court advantage that made them so successful. That is why this mauling is so sad. I always thought Brazil was going to loose to Germany but not in such a sad and pathetic manner as this. I know the game is far from over but I honestly don't see Brazil coming back from a five goal deficit. However, I do hope and pray that they at least score some goals so to as not disappoint their entire country and save themselves from being burned in effigy.

The last major tragedy for Brazil was their loss to Uruguay in the 1950 World Cup in Brazil when the goalie Barbosa let in the game loosing goal. After that point Barbosa was vilified in Brazil and ended up dying poor and alone. Brazilians still talk about the loss and still hate the guy. I hope that this does not happen to any of these players and more importantly to the coach Scolari.

Let's see what 45 minutes will bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment